The Sunday Adult Forum is a semi-formal adult discussion group. Our topics include Geopolitics, Contemporary Issues/Events, Spiritual Themes, and Personal Experiences. Our normal weekly participation ranges from eight to twelve. We meet Sunday mornings from 10:00 to 10:50 am. Our regular Sunday program follows at 11:00 am.
- To improve individual communication and analysis skills in a courteous manner.
- To give a concise viewpoint of knowledge and ideas (and feelings)
- Listen to others and study and understand complex current issues and to exchange viewpoints.
- Participants often have a broad enough personal knowledge of topics that pertinent information appears during discussions.
February 17 Topic: Is Social Democracy workable in the U.S.?
- Should we tolerate the intolerant?
- The Migrant Caravan
- IMMIGRATION: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
- The Politicization of Science; why has science become so political? What can we do about this? Student Loans. Betsy DeVoss, Deregulating For-Profit Schools, Bankruptcy and the like.
- Fake News, Alternative Truth/FactsLow U.S. Birthrate and Immigration
- Faith versus Science
- Should Prostitution be Made Legal?
- The Shrinking American Middle Class
- What should Texas and Houston ISD do to bring up math and reading scores?
- Is It Time to Make National Service Universal?
- What are the Actual Differences between Democrats and Republicans?
- Social Conservatives, Fiscal Liberals
- Gun Violence
- TELEVISION: What Role Does TV Play in Your Life and Life of your Family?
- American Culture: What it is?; What makes it unique?
- Cultural Identity and Politics: How has cultural identity (such as race, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation) influenced your political views?; Is it fair to benefit one culturally identifying group at the expense of others (for instance, tax revenue being used to fund special interests)?
- HAPPINESS: What is it? Is it important? What makes you happy? When were/are you happiest? Do you have more or less of it with time? Do you pursue it, as recommended in the Declaration of Independence, or does it just happen?”
- “THE POWER OF EXPECTATIONS: How Do Expectations Shape Our Lives”
- The Rise and Fall of “Fake Pot”. The sale of illegal drugs sold openly, like “herbal incense”, K2, etc.
- The decision from a young Muslim woman leaving Islam for Atheism.
- We “ratted” on our Moms! uh, er, … For Mother’s Day, we shared interesting stories about the lives of our Mothers & other members of our families!
- LBJ’s 1964 Civil Right Act…law passed 50 years ago banning discrimination on the basis of color, religion or national origin.
168,000 gallons of fuel spilled into Galveston bay
- No New Physics?
- HISD’s proposed school closings
- The missing Malaysian Airline
- Mexican Drug War: Should America become militarily involved?
- Edward Snowden: traitor or whistle blower?
- Should we ask the Texas Legislature to re-regulate electric rates?