In May of 1961 the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America merged to become the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) in which we currently maintain our membership.
Houston media took notice in 1966, when our president, Maxine Barkan, was reported to be the first woman to head a modern-day congregation. We eagerly awaited Sunday morning’s inspirational programs. The Fine Arts, represented by music, drama and art, have always flourished at the Fellowship along with participatory groups dealing with a myriad of subjects and issues. We added an innovative and distinctive circular Chapel to the original building along with several other buildings.
In 1979, we participated in a shared ministry program. From 1986-1990, we had a full-time minister. The School of the Woods had operated independently of the Fellowship since the 1980’s, and, in 1991, we accepted their offer to buy our property. The School of the Woods still flourishes to this day.
We wanted to remain in our west Houston area, and we found an ideal spot right down the street at 1504 Wirt Road, our current location. We broke ground in 1992, and, in August of 1993, our beautiful, award-winning Fellowship building was completed. The following month, John Buehrens, then-President of the UUA (Boston) joined us for our Dedication Ceremony.
Today, we are lay-led, and program committee members plan our Sunday morning services featuring members or outside speakers for a potpourri of creative, challenging, and engaging Sunday morning programs.
Last year, the congregation voted to become a LGBTQ Welcoming Congregation, and we have received our certification.
We welcome you to become part of our provocative history.